Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Some more great news from Neecoragua!

Hello friends and family! Just another update to let you all know I am alive and learning here in Nicaragua. Here are a few of my latest and greatest adventures.

On Saturday, we had a family reunion at my house and it was incredible. We cooked all day, and in the process, had wild dance parties. I taught my Aunt Mirna how to do the "Grease Lightning" dance (thank you barmitzvahs!) and we belted (well...she made the general sounds) "Summer Nights" at the top of our lungs. After that, my sister, cousin, and my aunts Mirna and Lorena danced to "Culo", and put their butts together every time they said the word. Last was "Gasolina" in which my sister, Heyling, and cousin, Julia, were doing sexy dances and my Aunt Mirna attempted to partake in the fun. It was amazing, and hopefully the pictures will be up soon on the slideshow. After that, we had a Secret Snowflake gift exchange before lunch, and at the end, my niece, Grace, gave me a necklace and said "Welcome to our family!" Oh the warm fuzzy moments.

On Sunday, I wrote my paper. To all those who are aware of my awful procrastination methods, it did take me almost all day, but I finished it before 4PM. Thus, I believe I deserve a "Most Improved" medal. Hopefully I can keep up this awesome proactivity all the way through the 25-30 page ISP paper!

Yesterday we went to visit the American Nicaraguan School to talk to the seniors about college in the USA. It was crazy - the majority of these kids are either from the wealthiest families in Nicaragua, children of Ambassadors of different countries, or (the few) are there on scholarship. I met the son of the owner of Flor de Caña (if you don´t know what this is, look it up on Wikipedia and note that it flows like a sweet, cheap waterfall in this country), another kid who owns his own island, and the son of the ambassador from Iceland. Wow. Phil/Fil/Pil/Chil and I talked to two groups about the liberal arts college experience, and they seemed pretty interested. Hopefully we will see some Nicaraguans at Bates next year!

Lastly, I want to tell everyone about some fabulous news that I can´t believe I have kept from you until now.

As many of you know, ice cream makes my world go ´round. Honestly, I think it is genetic. One of my greatest fears when I was preparing for my semester abroad was the fact that I didn´t know what the ice cream culture would be like. Much to my happiness, there is a "Sorbetería" right next door to the study center, and Kendall and I decided one day to go buy some ice cream.

If you aren´t already, you might want to sit down before you read this next part.

An ice cream cone costs 10 córdobas. THAT IS 50 CENTS. If you do the math, that means that we can eat ice cream every day of the week for the price of one Starbucks beverage. And the best part is...IT TASTES MAGICALLY DELICIOUS!

Thank you everyone for reading, I hope you are doing well, and I encourage you to comment, email me, and write letters, because your correspondence makes me feel fabulous.

If you don´t already know, the address is:

Nicole Kahn
c/o Aynn Setright
Apartado Postal 181
Managua, Nicaragua - Central America

Below is a picture of Phil/Fil/Pil/Chil and me with our first group at the ANS. We were pretty awesome, especially Phil with his Mario shirt, orange shorts, and Wolverine chops.

Until next time...
Love,
Nicole

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

remember the break down of "men of a abroad trip" we did before you left. how's it going? most importantly of course is that you are having an amazing time, and the ice cream sounds awesome!!

Tom said...

get over yourself and call me. I'm glad that you're bring the joy of musical theater to the world at large.