Sunday, September 7, 2008

the first weekend in la Colonia!

Hello all - just a quick update because I have loved all of your comments! This was our first weekend here and it was pretty not-so-exciting-but-exciting-all-the-same. On Friday night, my mom decided to show me her favorite karaoke DVD of old songs including those by the BeeGees, Michael Jackson, and the Carpenters...and she and my siblings know ALL THE WORDS though they don't know what they mean. She asked me what the lyrics to "Wake Up Little Susie" meant and it was slightly uncomfortable but hilarious all the same. After that, my sister and I watched High School Musical IN SPANISH and it was incredible. To all those who wish to know, "Everybody loves a good jazz square" is "Todos adoran los pasos de jazz" in Spanish!

Yesterday was a pretty lazy day - my mom and I went to the supermercado and I hung around the Study Center and the house. Today, my family and I went to the pool to swim and it was super fun. I sat outside for maybe half an hour total and I already have quemaduras de sol...sun burn. The burden of being a gringo!

Tomorrow and Tuesday we have classes, and Wednesday we head off to the campo in Matagalpa to live rurally for five days. I am excited and nervous - it is comparable to the rural communities that I saw in Honduras in February, so it might be hard to face this kind of poverty. Expect a new blogpost about it once I return!

Also, I added pictures to the slideshow - if you want to see them larger or with captions, just click on it and it will take you to the site.

Shout outs:
to all my friends abroad - I hope you are all having as great of a learning experience as I am!
to my friends at Bates - hope you had a great first week of classes...KEEP ME UPDATED! YAMS!
to my parents - I miss talking to you, but I am glad you are having such a great time in Italia!
to Tals, Nathan, and Plush Mister Puddin - give each other hugs for me, and Stinker, good luck with everything this week!

Missing everyone...until next week,
Nicole

7 comments:

Lila said...

Yams! Your host fam sounds so cute. Good luck with your days in the rural area.

Tom said...

Leave it to you to have a sister as obsessed with High School Musical as you are. If you ever feel particularly homesick and want to vent for a while about living en un paĆ­s hispanohablante, gimme a call! And keep posting pictures! I miss you!

Becca Varon said...

Todos adoran los aventuras de Neeco!

Anonymous said...

Hey!

We're about to head off to bed and just wanted to let you know that, just like the old couple you imagine us to be, we often huddle by the warm glow of the computer at night and read about your exciting adventures in Nicaragua. Enjoy Matagalpa, we hear it is AWESOME.

We miss you and are looking forward to hearing more!

Love,
Talia and Nathan and PMP

Anonymous said...

Hello friend!!!

I am so excited to hear you are having a great time. My adventure is almost coming to an end however this weekend Im leaving to see the blue footed boobies. I am excited to follow your adventure everyday when I get back to permanent internet.

I miss you tons and cant wait for our reunion.

Anonymous said...

My update (read: reason why I haven't sent you that email I promised last weekend): theeeesis and, oh, some classes and jobs and work. AND, since I can't resist waiting until I can email you...I'm training for a triathlon :-)!!! So, lots going on up here, but I'll give you the details soon in an email. Sounds like you're having fun. Keep it up!

Taimur H. Khan said...

Yeah blogger!