Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A few quick updates as I take a break from paper writing...

Hello everyone! Just a quick update as I am about to leave to visit Masaya for the day with Kendall as a well deserved break from my recent Managua life.

I had a long weekend after my visit to León and Chinandega last Wednesday. In León, I had an unnervingly similar experience to that which I had during the "drop-off" on the third day of the program back in August, and I am pleased to inform all of you that I survived...and I was by myself this time! That´s what I´m talking about, Darwin.

Yesterday, Patricia and I went back to the home of the woman with HIV that we visited two weeks ago, but when we arrived, her mother told us that she had been admitted to the hospital a week ago for an opportunistic infection. I didn´t react for a few hours, but last night, the shock hit me and I absolutely broke down. As an estadounidense with so many opportunities granted to me by my situation, I will never again say, "My life isn´t fair." More on this later.

As a result of this nervous breakdown and the impending due date of my ISP research paper, I didn´t sleep last night, and rather wrote out a section of my paper by hand as is done here in Nicaragua when you don´t have a computer. For the last four days, I have been working on this final monster of a Spanish paper, and much to my surprise, I have actually been writing without procrastinating which I am sure many would agree (cough, cough Lila) is not one of my strengths. As of 9AM today, I have officially finished 13 of the 25 pages I am expected to write, which is the longest paper I have ever written in any language. Only 12 more to go!

In other news...COCKROACHES. I think they are breeding in my room, and it is kind of driving me bonkers, and I am pretty sure they would drive you nuts too...here are some of the latest examples.

Right before I left for Granada, the biggest cockroach I have ever seen crawled across my foot, and in the flurry of my panic, it fell on its back and couldn´t turn back over. I watched it do the fetus dance for a few minutes and then finally told my mamá, who boiled a pot of water and poured it on the roach´s belly to kill it. Phew.

A couple weeks ago while trying to go to sleep, I heard a faint scratching noise, and as a result of my paranoia, I turned on the light to inspect my room only to find a cockroach IN the bag where I keep my shampoo and soap. What would I have done if I had found a snake? Don´t even want to think about it.

The other night while speaking with my parents on the phone, a cockroach literally fell on my face (which probably really scared my mom, sorry!), and once I hung up, I found two more crawling across the floor...errgh.

Finally, this morning at 6:30AM, when I opened my door to head for the shower, I saw a cockroach lying on its back, looking pretty darn dead. I started to slide it in the direction of the outdoor patio-like area with my foot, and suddenly it came back to life and scurried under the oven. Great.

I wonder where the next one will appear...there are only so many more places they can hide.

I apologize this was such a short, disheveled and slightly uninformative entry, but it seems that all of my available computer time lately has been dedicated to this paper. In my wildest fantasies, I will finish it by Sunday so that I will have three days to prepare my presentation, finish my traditional costume, learn a folkloric dance, and perhaps write another update for all of you. I´m going for it!

And finally, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone for tomorrow! I will most likely be eating the usual gallo pinto with my mamá and hermanitos for dinner, but know that I am thankful for all of you and I hope you have a great day!

Love,
Nicole

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

NICOLE!!! I know its selfish but i'm so glad you're coming home soon. I'm also a million times more happy that you've had this awesome adventure and experiences. Be sure to enjoy your last few drops of fun! your roach stories made me laugh because we have them sometimes in new orleans, but normally you just step on them. I've never heard of anyone bothering to boil water! La cucaracha, la cucaracha,
Ya no puede caminar! did i mention i miss you. good luck with your paper and big project!

Sarah said...

i'm so proud of you for not procrastinating!! and those roaches sound gross.

i just got home so i'll tell the fam hi for you but i just wanted to say that i'm thankful for you. i love you lots and my life would not be the same without you.

love for hoovah ave,
zeta

Tom said...

Thanksgiving isn't quite the same here either, but you can certainly be thankful for every moment you walk around your house without having una cucaracha fall on your face... right? [shudder] miss you tons and love to laugh at you even when I don't think I could handle the same situation. And no mental breakdowns!

Ema said...

Sorry, but the roaches are breeding in your room......i know exactly how you feel, cuz i grew up with them in the lower east side of new york. yuk, I still can't shake the feeling of them on me once upon a time.

Stay safe and be home soon because my Sarah missssssssses you alot.

Take Care

Jade