Monday, December 1, 2008

¡Terminé! ¡Terminé!

Greetings folks! A much less stressed and much more exhuberant Nicole here to say hello and tell you all that as of 12 noon yesterday, I HAVE OFFICIALLY FINISHED MY PAPER!

This my friends, is not just 30 pages bound between two pieces of plastic...it is SUCCESS.

It is a wonderful feeling. Earlier this morning, I wrote out my abstracts, so now all I need to prepare is my presentation, which I plan on doing in the breaks between hanging out with my family, making my costume, dancing, and eating ice cream. That´s what I´m talking about.

Here are a few more updates from Managua...

Yesterday, after I finished, I went with my family friends Carolina and Guillermo to their daughter´s graduation from high school.
6th graders in front, 5th years in back

On the way home, we achieved what Guillermito (their son) and I believe to be a new record...10 people in one taxi.

Here is Guillermo looking hilariously squashed in the trunk across from me...note that the trunk door is not actually closed...
Afterwards, I had my first ever Spanish music dance party with actual Spanish speaking people at the graduation party (don´t worry Tom, ours are SO much better). I got a lot of laughs for being the only white girl dancing to Reggaeton with high schoolers, but that is what I live for. On Thursday, I get to do it all over again because I will be going to my little sister´s graduation from 6th grade, for which I am extremely excited.

Other news to report: in addition to my new cockroach friends, the mice have come to my house to hang out. I have only seen one so far, but I swear I hear more of them at night. The reason that this wasn´t a problem before now was because we had a cat named Tufito that did an excellent job at eating them all; however, a couple weeks ago our crazy neighbor poisoned and killed Tufito because he didn´t want his daughter to play with him. Before that, he had also thrown hot oil on Tufito to scare him out of his house. I mean c´mon, does that really merit scorching and killing an animal? Why not just tell your daughter not to play with the cat? This is defintely beyond my scope of comprehension.

Anyway, I am now basically FREE. This Friday after the presentations, we head back to the Casa San Juan for the program evaluation period, and then I come back to the US next Tuesday! It is all going by way too fast.

That´s it for now...I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, good luck to all the Batesies that are working hard for the finals that are coming up way too soon, and I can´t wait to hear from you!

Love,
Nicole

4 comments:

Lila said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! Amazing. I can't wait to read the English translation.

Sarah said...

MAZEL TOV!!!!! heehee. That's so exciting! I'm so proud of you and hope to read it soon. What an accomplishment. Enjoy the time you have left!

oodles of love,
zeta

Dean said...

that poor cat! congrats on the paper. miss you!

Anonymous said...

yayyyyy you're done! and by the way, i can totally picture you dancing to reggaeton with all those high schoolers. although there was laughter, i bet everyone thought you were HOTT stuff.

also, I CAN'T BELIEVE HE WOULD DO THAT TO A CAT.

also also, i can't wait to see you again! we have a lot of lost underwear dance parties to make up for.

love from your procrastinating friend,
paquita!