Thursday, October 30, 2008

HIV, sequins, and guns...how do these all fit together?

They are all mentioned in this post, that´s how.

First of all, I´m going to be whiny. Do you ever have those times when you turn in a paper that you can´t believe you wrote because you feel so terrible about it? Well, that´s how I feel right now. We had to write a 4-6 page comparative essay on Nicaragua and El Salvador, and I had absolutely no idea what to write about - there was so much information about the two countries yet so little detail to use. We also had the option to write in English or Spanish, and I was ridiculous enough to decide to challenge myself to write in español. OY. Take my advice - never write a paper that you wouldn´t feel comfortable writing in English in another language as it will just make you feel more useless!

Now that we are done with that rant, let´s get down to business.

On Tuesday, I finally met with my advisor for my ISP at Xochiquetzal to discuss my project, and I am SO EXCITED. Her name is Patricia González, and she is a psychologist who has been working with the organization for 12 years. She also told me about another organization that she helped develop called the Asociación de Nicaragüenses de Personas Positivas Luchando por la Vida (ANICP+VIDA) that focuses all their work on support for people living with HIV. She said that I will be spending most of my time shadowing her while she visits and helps individuals, couples, and families affected by HIV. In addition, I will probably be attending the Thursday afternoon support groups at ANICP+VIDA, visiting hospitals to see the government programs provided, developing support protocol for other psychologists, and maybe even help build ANICP+VIDA. It is kind of crazy because all Patricia knows about me is that I am a psychology student from a university in the United States and she is already giving me so much responsibility. It is such a new feeling - in the United States, I feel like I am valued for what I can´t do because I don´t yet have my B.A. or a masters or whatever other experience an organization may require, but here I am cherished for my interest and what I can and will do. This coming month is going to be intense, but I am too excited for words.


A shout out to my dear Pirate Club that I miss with the fire of ten kagillion suns:

On Monday morning, my mom and I went to the Mercado Oriental to buy fabric to make traditional folkloric dance costumes so that we can perform together in the closing ceremony of our program. I was extremely skeptical about this little adventure especially because my sewing skills are not yet up to par for this kind of project. I can say this considering that my sewing resume consists solely of a t-shirt and shorts I made in 3rd grade, a flower bouquet for the fall play (note: there was no real sewing involved in this project), a hat for the winter play, and two quilts that I made during short term...but I went to the market anyways, thinking that I might as well try, laugh at myself when I completely failed, then come crawling back to the Bates costume shop in January to beg Kathy to reteach me everything I learned last year.

When we arrived at the market I couldn´t believe my eyes...my darling pirates, you would have fainted. There were rows and rows of fabric stores down the street of the outdoor market with rows and rows and rooms and rooms of fabrics and adornments and everything shiny and colorful that you could possibly want to make absolutely anything. I left the mall of fabrics with 18 dollars worth of supplies to create my own traditional costume...but that was the easy part. Then I actually had to do it.

That night, my mom and I made the blouse for the costume, the Nicaraguan way. I am a disgrace to the costume shop for what I did, but I had to do it because it was the only way. We took t-shirts and placed them on our satin without pins, then traced them with blackboard chalk. After, we cut the "pattern" using dull scissors that couldn´t even cut paper, then did the other side in a similar fashion. Next, we brought out the sewing machine and I surprised myself by successfully threading the bobbin on a machine I had no clue how to use. Finally, I did the sketchiest part - I attempted to sew my fraying, asymmetrical satin on the machine I didn´t understand. Fearfully, I took the shirt off the machine, cut all the loose thread (just for you Kathy!), and put it on, hoping that I didn´t look like a complete idiot. Much to my surprise, my mom screamed, "¡Que linda!" (How beautiful!) because it actually fit. Wow. Luckiest day of my life.

Since then, I have been sewing sequins and adornments on the shirt which is supposed to sparkle to the point of blindness, and I am pleased to say that under the circumstances, I successfully sewed a shirt. Now on to the skirt and hat!


Last bit of news for this update:

Yesterday afternoon, as a part of the Culture of Peace module of our history class, we visited the Parque de la Paz that Violeta Barrios de Chamorro built at the end of the war in Nicaragua. This is what we saw there. Can you tell what the things are that are sticking out of this wall?


Answer: GUNS. Doña Violeta had all the weapons of the war dumped into a pit covered in cement to bury them, signifying the end of the armed war. It was an incredible sight. Below is a tank that was also covered with cement at the park.


Isn´t that nuts?

Anyways, I have about four minutes left at the internet café, so I am going to sign off before I get into trouble. I hope everyone is having a wonderful day, and I am missing you all SO much!

Love,
Nicole

6 comments:

Ema said...

Nicole, Just wanted you to know that i have been following your blog. With this study abroad experience,I think you have grown emotionally a few years. YOU GO GIRL!!! Between the Singing in the Rain and the EL SALVADOR experiences, I guess that is where "BITTER SWEET" of life means. Stay safe and Keep posting so we can at least experience some of this life time experience through YOU. BE WELL!!!!!!
Jade Rosenthal aka (Sarah's ema)

Sarah said...

i first saw that it said jade and i was like, that's my mommy's name. i kept reading and thought, this sounds like my mommy. then i read the end and was like...it IS my mommy!! i told her about your blog and i'm glad she's been reading it. it'll get her used to it so that she'll read mine next semester.
as always, there's little more i can say other than i love you, i'm so proud of you, and keep having the time of your life.
<3 always, zeta

Anonymous said...

"It is such a new feeling - in the United States, I feel like I am valued for what I can´t do because I don´t yet have my B.A. or a masters or whatever other experience an organization may require, but here I am cherished for my interest and what I can and will do."

!!! That feeling is totally what drives my "double" thesis in chemistry. I think about it all the time

ChatsDuMonde said...

Nicole!
The fabric place sounds incredible! I'm soo jealous. And I want to see what you made when you come back! But you shouldn't be so suprised about being able to make a blouse. And you made that dress during short term remember?

It sounds like you are having an incredible time! I really liked the video becuase I got to hear your laugh (even if it was an "oh my god this ferris wheel is scary laugh). But it made me miss you!
Dressing isn't the same without you!
<3
Sarah (and the rest of pirate club in spirit)

Unknown said...

So, 4 days ago Jackson is in the Dana computer lab where I [obviously] was since my life revolves around Dana....anyway, he all of a sudden SPINS around in his wheely computer chair and says "Where's Nicole?! Is she abroad or something?" Yes, Jackson, yes she is. Why? Miss peppering her with phone calls about what time things start?

The good times roll in Dana chemistry hall. It was humorous, to say the least.

Tom said...

miss you. call me.


... by call me I mean give me a time to ichat with you :o) I've got too much to talk to you about to write it all down!